Undivided Partial Interests
- The understory is made up of plants like herbs, shrubs and vines that grow close to the ground. This habitat provides shelter and protection for small animals and ground-dwelling birds.
Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP)
- In the context of land trust work, a landowner grants a shared, percentage ownership in the property to the land trust over several years until the land trust has full ownership. The land trust will eventually own the land, but there is a joint ownership in the interim. Potential income tax deductions spread over several years and estate tax benefits. [Source: Glossary of Land Conservation Terms and Techniques, Triangle Land Conservancy: http://www.tlc-nc.org/landowner/glossary.shtml]
Urban Growth Boundary
- The Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) are the generally accepted standards for professional appraisal practice in North America. USPAP contains standards for all types of appraisal services. Standards are included for real estate, personal property, business and mass appraisal. [More information at the Appraisal Foundation website: http://bit.ly/2jLuuXQ]
- A growth management tool in which land use regulations delineate areas where urban growth can and cannot occur in order to protect natural and agricultural land.
- Urban sprawl is the spreading of a city and its suburbs over rural land at the fringe of an urban area. Urban sprawl is often characterized by low population densities, a lack of public transportation options and not being pedestrian friendly. Sprawl is often seen as poorly planned development that threatens our environment, our health, and our quality of life in numerous ways. It is also referred to as suburban sprawl [sources: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_sprawl) & and Sierra Club (http://www.sierraclub.org/sprawl)]